Final day in Japan


This last day in Japan was spent with all of the Tsugawa's and Takatori's.  Two car loads of us headed off towards Narita airport with the intention of  going for lunch and then stopping at a very large and popular Buddhist Temple in order to give thanks and welcome in the New Year 2014.

Tsu, Mamoru, Mr. Tsugawa, Junko, Mrs. Tsugawa
A friendship spanning decades and an ocean between us.

Lunch at a Udon restaurant on my last day in Japan

Add-ons for the ramen.  Soooo delicious!





I can't recall the name of this Temple but it may have been Naritasan as I recall it being close to Narita Airport.





I went inside the temple with Mr. and Mrs. Tsugawa.  We sat on the floor and listened to the service.  I have no clue what was going on but Monks were walking around the inside of the temple while we listened to singing and words being spoken.



Once we are finished here, we go back to our vehicles and head to the airport.  We have lots of time to spare so we park and everyone comes inside the aiport.  Shortly thereafter, Yoko shows up.  She had been at work this day but left early to take the train to the airport to wish me farewell.

When it's time for me to check in, everyone walks with me to check in.  I hug each of them:  Yoko, Junko, Emiko, Satsuki, Mamoru, Tsu, Mr. Tsugawa and Mrs. Tsugawa.  When it comes time for me to hug Mrs. Tsugawa, Mrs. Tsugawa and I each have tears in our eyes.  Despite the language barrier, our hearts connected during this week.  You don't need mutual language to show respect, appreciation and love to someone else.

As I pass through the area where only passengers are allowed to enter, all of them are waving to me through the glass.  I go up the escalator and they're all still waving madly at me until we are out of each other's sight.

I have little time to get to my gate but I want to stop at the duty free store.  I pick up a couple bottles of saki and some Japanese cookies.  They are THE best - I know this because Emiko brought me these cookies when she visited Canada.

I have a direct flight from Tokyo to Vancouver and sleep most of the way.  I awake to descending through the horizon to the rising sun. A photo is worth 1,000 words!

Descending through the horizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Paris, France