Sleep Deprivation Sucks, but Airline Itinerary Changes Not So Much

Forty-three hours til my plane leaves the tarmac. Still not 100% ready but with one final push-through this evening I should be good to go.
Suffering from major sleep deprivation. Worked today on 3.5 hours of sleep. I wish I could say it was visions of sugar plums dancing in my head but unfortunately it was a list of things I forgot to write down on my packing list. Of course, between 1:00 AM and 4:30 AM I didn't get out of bed to actually write down any of those items so time will tell if they were actual necessities or not.
Air Canada sent notification that my itinerary has changed in my favour. Instead of suffering through a 3-hour layover from Seattle to Vancouver on the way home it looks as if I now get to fly direct! That is the best news ever. Seattle is oh so close to Vancouver that you can almost taste and smell home and feel how comfy your own bed will feel after 30 days in beds that I bet will be nowhere near as comfortable. To have to waste away 3 hours in an airport that takes 3 hours to drive the distance is never that great when all you want to do is get home. Now, I leave Tokyo at 7:00 PM on Saturday, January 18 and I arrive in Vancouver at 11:00 AM on Saturday, January 18. Getting home eight hours before I left isn't too shabby for a 10-hour flight.
The big bonus is I just found out that I am allowed TWO bags at 50 lbs each. What to do, what to do? As it stands, my one suitcase weighs in at 32 lbs. I figure that what I have left to pack surely won't weigh 8 lbs. Hmmm... That means I can s-h-o-p more than I had planned in Thailand. It also means I can pack a few more warm clothes for Japan as I will be packing for two seasons: scorching temps (Bangkok temps are supposed to feel like 45 C. (113 F.) tomorrow in the rain!) and Tokyo weather is similar to Vancouver weather: currently a daily high of 11 C. (56 F.) and probably rainy.
Question is, do I take a 2nd bag from here or buy a cheap one in Bangkok? When I traveled to New York I took an empty MEC duffel bag in the bottom of my suitcase. Trying to decide if I should do that again but think I'll get on a Trip Advisor forum and pose the question. I definitely don't need to buy another piece of luggage but if I could pick one up cheaply maybe that's the way to go. Bangkok airways allows 70 lbs within Thailand so I'll be doing pretty good with the one bag.

It pays to read the fine print!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Paris, France