Riding Over Mountaintops of Whipped Cream

Well not off to a good start. Spent a full hour typing today's blog post on my Ipad but it wouldn't upload. I may have Flash issues so time will tell if I'll be able to blog or not. Right now, I'm using the brand new desktops that Bangkok Airways allows free use of within it's free lounge area: that would be a free lounge with refreshments and all the carbs a weary traveller could ever want. Just tried my first sticky rice wrapped in banana leaf. Tastes like rice pudding. Scrumptious.
I thought my first on-the-spot blog was pretty informative and you know how it goes, it never reads the same when you have to go back and recreate it. In any event, I only have 15 minutes before the final leg of my journey to my official starting destination Thailand commences boarding. I'll see if I can fill you in on a few hi-lights.
I left Vancouver 31 hours ago. In 2.5 hours I'll be at my starting destination of Chiang Mai, Thailand. I flew Air China. What a treat from the monopoly we are stuck with in Canada. Excellent service all around, from check-in, to the meals to the spotless bathrooms on board the plane. Not to mention you couldn't hear a pin drop on that airplane. Everyone was as quiet as a mouse. Oddly though the shades were drawn and the lighting was on night time mode the entire way. That was weird considering it was daylight.
I watched the flight tracker most of the way. 5229 miles from Vancouver to Beijing. The coldest area was around Nome, Alaska when the temperature reading was a mere -79 F.!
Heading east the skyline was a gorgeous melding of gold and pink. The Bearing Sea was frozen over. The hi-lite of the flight for me was flying over the most gorgeous mountain tops of Russia. They looked like someone had whipped them up in a bowl and plopped them out over the landscape. I'll never forget that stunning sight.  
As we neared in on China, man what a huge country. Holy toledo! Sadly though about 30 minutes outside of Beijing what had been blue sky and sunshine the entire way soon became a gray polluted haze. I was shocked at the living conditions. Clumps of look-alike hi-rises grouped together. Thousands of them. I had never seen anything like it. Hi-rises and factories for miles. Of course with the haze of pollution I couldn't really see all that far. The Beijing airport was deserted for 5:30 PM on a weekday. 2/3 of the lights were turned off and it was so dim that I couldn't read my book, literally it was too dim to read the print on the page.  Did you know that it is the job of a smiling lady to wipe off the toilet seat after it’s been used? Yes indeed that's an actual job in the Beijing airport.  
My flight is being called so I gotta cut this short.

This site won't let me post without a photo but I've downloaded them to my Ipad and am typing this from a complimentary desktop computer in the Bangkok Airways lounge so I'll have to post the whipped cream covered mountaintops another time and for now leave you with one from the standard library catalogue.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Paris, France